150 million people speak Turkish from the southeast of Eastern Europe to the borders of China. Turkish was the language of the Ottoman Empire, which controlled much of Eastern Europe, Western Asia and North Africa between the 14th and early 20th centuries. Knowledge of modern Turkish is extremely helpful for Ottoman Turkish and the Turkic languages of Central Asia.
WHY STUDY TURKEY & TURKISH?
- One of the cradles of human civilization
- A growing regional player
- At the crossroads of Asia and Europe
- Access to countries in Europe, the Middle East and Central Asia to pursue a career in: Security, Politics, International Relations, Business and Languages/Literature/Culture
- Access to government, national security, diplomatic mission, NGO and intergovernmental jobs
- A member state of NATO, the UN, OECD, BSEC, G20, the Council of Europe and EU candidate
- Designated by the United States government as critical to U.S. National Security
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) eligible
- Home to the most widely spoken of the Turkic languages