International undergraduate students whose TOEFL total scores are 103 (TOEFL iBT) or above (or total score of 7.5 or above on IELTS) AND TOEFL speaking and writing sub scores are 25 or above (7 or above on IELTS speaking and writing) are exempt from taking the EPT.
NOTE: For new students in 2021-2022, you do not have to take the EPT if you have transferred credit for RHET 105 or if you have fulfilled your Composition I requirement via any of the following criteria:
- Transferred course credit from another post-secondary institution that fulfills the ‘Composition I' requirement
- ACT English score of 34 or higher
- SAT EBRW score of 710 or higher
- AP English Language and Composition score of 4 or 5
- AP English Literature and Composition score of 4 or 5
- IB English A: Literature, Higher Level score of 6 or 7
- IB English A: Literature, Standard Level score of 6 or 7
- IB English A: Language and Literature, Higher Level score of 6 or 7
- IB English A: Language and Literature, Standard Level score of 6 or 7
- IB English A: Literature and Performance, Standard Level score of 6 or 7
(Please note, if you meet any of these criteria above, the scores must have been received by UIUC and processed into RHET 105 credit so that it is reflected in your academic record before you may be exempt from the EPT)
If you are an undergraduate student and are required to take the English Placement Test (EPT), you can take the EPT to take ESL courses in Fall 2021.
Oral English Placement Test
If you are an undergraduate student and have not submitted any TOEFL or IELTS scores you may be required to also take the oral section of the EPT.
International graduate students whose total TOEFL scores are 102 (TOEFL iBT) or below (*total IELTS score of 7.0 or below; *Duolingo score between 105 and 124) are required to take the EPT.
Further details about TOEFL / IELTS / Duolingo (temporarily acceptable) requirements are given at the following websites: http://www.grad.illinois.edu/admissions/instructions/04c.cfm
If you are a visiting scholar, faculty or staff, you should contact the ESL program (firstname.lastname@example.org) for ESL 592/3 (formerly ESL502/3) and don't register for the EPT.
*Graduate courses have been renumbered. Please check the changes in Interpreting EPT scores.
Oral English Placement Test
If you are a graduate student and you have submitted TOEFL scores with a speaking score of 18 or lower, or IELTS scores with a speaking score of 6.0 or lower, (or you have submitted only Duolingo test result) then you will be required to take the oral section of the EPT.
Note: The EPT does not assess or in any way affect the qualification of graduate student International Teaching Assistants (ITAs). For information about English language assessment requirements of ITAs, please go visit the Graduate College.