The Linguistics Department of the University of Illinois is excited to be hosting the 40th Annual Conference on African Linguistics (ACAL) in affilition with several other units! Please visit their respective webpages for more information:
- UIUC Linguistics Department
- UIUC Center for African Studies
- UIUC Center for Global Studies
- UIUC School for Languages, Cultures, and Literature
What is ACAL?
The Annual Conference on African Linguistics is a conference that was first held at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in 1970 to discuss issues in African Linguistics. Every ten years since then, the conference has returned to where it was first held.
UIUC is proud to host this year's ACAL in April of 2009 from the 9th to the 11th. The theme for this year's conference is African Languages and Linguistics Today: 40th Anniversary Celebration.
The preliminary conference program is available and can be downloaded here. Speakers can be confident that they will not be moved from their assigned time unless specifically requested. We will attempt to accommodate time and date change requests as much as possible.
- Prof. Ayo Bamgbose (Professor Emeritus, University of Ibadan, Nigeria)
- Prof Charles W. Kisseberth (Emeritus, UIUC, and Tel Aviv University)
- Prof. Lioba Moshi (University of Georgia, Athens)
- Prof. Fallou Ngom (Boston University)
- Prof. Brent Henderson (University of Florida, Gainesville)
40th ACAL at Illinois
Department of Linguistics
707 S. Mathews Avenue; Suite 4080 FLB
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, IL 61801; USA
Prof. Eyamba G. Bokamba
Telephone: (217) 333-3563 (Dept. Receptionist)
(217) 244-3051 (Direct to research office & Conference Assistant)